August 10, 2010

A Kindred Spirit

A few months ago I was commissioned to create an Anne of Green Gables plush, but I couldn't fit it into my schedule until this past week. Thankfully the customer was fine with waiting, which I appreciated since once the idea was in my head I really wanted to make my own version of this iconic character. :)



For my own Anne, I spent some time and re-watched the excellent mini-series starring Megan Follows, to make sure that I created accurate period clothing for Anne. I went through my fabric stash until I found a combo that felt right, and went to work. I knew that I wanted to use part of this old faux-leather jacket that I had for her shoes, which was fun and added a different texture. I made the hat and the carpet bag, since Anne arrives at the train station in the beginning of the book with an old straw hat and a beat-up carpet bag for a suitcase.


I had a lot of fun with this one, since Anne of Green Gables is near and dear to my heart. I grew up reading the novels, which for those of you not in the know are the product of the amazing imagination of L.M. Montgomery, who brought Anne vividly to life in a wonderful series of books based at the turn of the 20th century in Prince Edward Island, Canada. If you haven't read any of the books, I highly recommend them.



To see more photos, head on over to my flickr page.

No comments: