May 22, 2012

Philadelphia...

I had a great time wandering around the City of Brotherly Love, thanks a million to Diane of Cutesy but not Cutesy for showing me around this great city!
I was in awe of all the major historical events that happened there, and the architecture is fantastic. I love looking at those old brick buildings on the East Coast.

Here are some of the photos of the awesomeness that is Philly:

Bust of Ben Franklin- made of keys!

Graveyard where Ben Franklin is buried.

It was really cool to go and visit the house where Betsy Ross created the first flag of the United States- she was a feisty lady who was ahead of her time. She didn't retire from her work until she was 76- and then only because her eyesight was too bad to continue. This is the house that she lived in until she retired to her daughter's farm:




replica of the first flag design

I also got to sneak a peek of the amazing architecture of City Hall, as well as the famed Liberty Bell:


and the Eternal Flame monument:



Independence Hall:


There was also the awesomely amazing food market in Reading (pronounced "redding"- go figure) where I had the BEST cheesesteak sandwich ever- although it was tough to choose from all the different stands offering them....



To walk off the cheesesteak and whoopee pie, we headed on a trek from Reading Terminal to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, where we paid homage to the statue of the Italian Stallion himself:




and then climbed the famous steps up and in to the Museum, where we saw some incredible art- this museum has some amazing pieces in its permanent collection.


Speaking of art- we also walked through "Love Park" which was the site of the first Robert Indiana "Love" sculpture:


I was bummed that the famous Barnes Collection was not on view- it opened in its new location a few days after I was gone, darn it! That just gives me an excellent excuse to go back, and I definitely plan on it.

I'll be posting photos of the Plush Team's retreat soon- just gotta weed through them all to find the good ones. Have a great week everyone!


No comments: