July 29, 2008

Kali- Goddess of Death





A bit of a change of scene for me with this little lady! Our friend Sanjay of Ghee Happy asked me to translate his new version of Kali into plush form. I was happy to accept and do something a little darker than usual. It took me about 2 weeks to get all the little details done (the sickle, skulls, severed arms and head), do the embroidery (a lot of fun, but a wee bit hard on the hands after awhile), sew her together and stuff her. It was more pressure making someone else's design than my own, that's for sure! I had A LOT of fun making the severed head though- maybe I'll make some more in the future. So look out- it could be your head next! :D
I'm taking a break for a day or so to let my hands rest up, then it's back to the sewing machine for me.
For more pics, head over to my flickr page.

KALI UPDATE: August 13th, 2008

First, I want to say thanks to the folks over at boing boing for their post of the Kali plush!
Sanjay and I are so happy that you all like our experiment. We did this so he could get an idea of what one of his designs looked like in plush form- just for his enjoyment, and as a chance to do some artistic collaboration. Sanjay liked how she turned out so much that he is now in the process of trying to get her manufactured so that everyone can enjoy her. Since this is his baby, I can't do any Kali commissions at this time. (Sorry!)
I promise to update you all on the manufacturing progress and when/where she becomes available for purchase. Thanks again for all your Kali love! :D
-Leeanna and Sanjay

21 comments:

Nichol Brinkman said...

She is COMPLETELY AWESOME!!!!! And quite spooky. I love that the severed head has a mustache.

Leeanna Butcher said...

Thanks Nichol, you should check out Sanjay's website for more great designs.

Anonymous said...

Oh this is so cool! I love Kali! Thank you for this version of her ;-)

Anonymous said...

Totally amazing! i'd get one for myself if I could...

Anonymous said...

Hey there, I love this Kali plush doll! I think I do that you do commissions - what do you think it would cost to make one of those for me and ship it to Ottawa Canada? I would love to get it for my mom for Christmas because she just named her sailboat Kali Spirit which I did the decal design for, and I love for this to be her ship mascot. If you could let me know it would be much appreciated. Thanks!

nigel_laut@hotmail.com

Unknown said...

I'd also love to buy this. How much would you charge to make one and ship it to the eastern US?

fionnlaech@gmail.com

niteHawk said...

Yeah - add me to the list of wanting a price to commision.. my son loves the book, and would think this is the coolest as Kali is his favorite.

Tnx!

Anonymous said...

I'd like to buy one! My daughter's name is Kali.

Erika.Schinler@earthlink.net

Thanks.

Leeanna Butcher said...

WOW! Thanks to everyone for your great feedback. Sanjay and I are happy you all like Kali! We did this as a joint project to see what one of his designs would look like translated into plush form- as you can see she changed a lot from his original design. Sanjay liked how she turned out so much that he is in the process of trying to get her manufactured so she would be available to everyone. Since this his his baby, I can't do any Kali commissions, (sorry!) but I promise to update you all on the manufacturing progress- and when/where you can find her when she becomes available.
Thanks again for all your Kali love! We really appreciate it. :D

niteHawk said...

Ahhh - no fun :-(
;-)
I already have both versions of the book, the prints, and several tshirts for family and friends.. I guess I can wait for the plushes!
You know.. a Genesha would look good too :-)

Leeanna Butcher said...

Nitehawk,
Sorry to disappoint! We are kicking around thoughts for others, Ganesh seems to be a pretty popular request... so who knows! Stay tuned.

Jon said...

Count me in as another who would buy one (or 4 or 5) if they get manufactured.

My wife and a couple of her friends are Eastern tradition Religious Studies majors and they would think one of these would be awesome!

jsauter@gmail.com

Pushkar said...

if you're taking orders please add me to the list:
pushkarmsharma@gmail.com

thanks and great work!
P

Anonymous said...

I love it!
I linked you into my blog, where you'll find my version of some Sanjay Patel art:

http://bollywoodfoodclub.wordpress.com/2008/08/22/what-do-ganesha-sanjay-patel-the-minnesota-state-fair-crop-seeds-shree-420-and-bollywood-have-in-common/

All the best!
Sita-ji

Leeanna Butcher said...

Thanks Everyone! I will add you all to our list of contacts for when Kali is available!

Sita-ji- wow! :D Glad you enjoy Kali.

Anonymous said...

I LOVE the Kali plush and would definitely buy one if it goes into production. PLEASE let me know if that happens. jamiblakeley108@gmail. Thanks!

Anonymous said...

Put me on the Kali list as well :)
she is sooo beautiful! And I have a lot of people who will want her (at least 40 or so).
pagan1aisling@yahoo.com

Thanks so much!

Leeanna Butcher said...

Thanks everyone! no new updates at this time, but I'll keep you posted. I'm adding you to the list! :D

Unknown said...

Your doll is lovely. Please put me on your mailing list for when it is available. Email: bhosky@gmail.com. I was wondering if you would do a shiva doll as well as a ganesha doll. Maybe parvati as well. My daughter prays to all three and would love if I got her dolls of them. Thank you so much

Anonymous said...

very cute! love the details!

KaliRayne said...

I absolutely adore the doll. My name is Kali! If you could put me on your mailing list as well, I would greatly appreciate it!

-Kali

kcarnov1@gmail.com